Morgoth Bauglir: A day in the life of a Dark Lord

WWCD? (What Would Cthulhu Do?) No, for the last time, I'm not a cultist!

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Crystal Ship

Well, I had my first day on the new job on Friday, and I go in today for the next day of training. So far, it seems pretty cool. Talk to me in seven weeks and we'll see if I am saying the same thing.

I had yesterday off, so I decided to go see Sunshine, the new Danny Boyle movie. This is an example of science fiction at its best. One thing that struck me was that this was a film that was not afraid to show wonder and awe at things, from something as alien as the surface of the sun, to more "mundane" things such as waves washing up on a beach or a well tended garden. In contrast, most other recent science fiction movies have lost that sense of awe at life in favor of either a cold cynicism or a whiz-bang spectacle. While many people have issues with CGI effects, I tend to have a more limited objection to them. While I have no problem with computer generated non-living objects, I find that anytime film-makers try to use computer-generated effects in place of live stunts, the audience can't help but be taken out of the moment of the film and rudely reminded that this is all just a fiction. Fortunately, Sunshine does not fall into that trap. I'll flat out state that this is a movie that could not have been made before the advent of computer generated effects. Nonetheless, I found myself empathizing with the characters, all of whom have their own insecurities and strengths, and all of whom are conflicted at one point or another. While parts may be unsettling, it's the good kind of unsettling. I recommend it!

Also, I must once again plug RiffTrax. So far, I've seen the Star Trek V, Road House, and Lord of the Rings riffs, and I have to say: superior fun! If you've been jonesing for the good old days of Mike Nelson and his Robot Pals, this is as good as it gets. MST:3k isn't coming back, but it does have a worthy successor, as Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and a host of others return to mock the movies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home